Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Whirlwind Continues

Yesterday at work was designed to test me. My boss was working from home since his wife was sick, so I had limited access to him. I also had a couple of pressing deadlines. So when many of the systems started going down, I knew it was going to be a crazy day.

Generally we send out an update once or twice a week to inform people that a system here or there has gone down. Yesterday we had five going down and coming back up throughout the day. It kept me hopping to get notifications out while trying to reach my own deadlines.

And I did it.

There was one thing that I wanted to get done before I left, but it had to wait until I got in this morning. I still consider it a victory.

The nice part about it is the fact that both my boss and my boss' boss went out of their way to let me know that they were pleased with how I handled things yesterday. I haven't juggled that many balls at a time for quite some time, and it is nice to know that my skills are not going unnoticed.

After my boss was settled in today, I approached him with a question. He had offered to help out with some of the things I have on my plate left over from last week, but never got to them because of other things that got added to his own workload. He asked me the status on some of the projects after I was done asking my question, and I was able to tell him that I could handle it. He apologized for not being able to help out. It was a nice gesture, but I'm fine not being coddled by having my work done for me.

As I was lying awake in bed last night looking back on the day, I realized that I am going to be able to learn a lot through this position. My boss encourages me to research and become an expert in software and technologies. And he also encourages experimentation. I thrive on that type of stuff. So today, I spent a bit of time learning a bit more about HTML and CSS while I was getting some of my work done. I used is as a reward for myself after I finished editing an 113 page document of policies. I needed some kind of release.

Good news is, I am keeping up. I don't feel like I am in the eye of the storm, but I can tell that the wind is still whipping around. I'm sure another storm will be rolling in shortly, but for now, I'm going to enjoy having the opportunity to learn a bit more while I get my work done.

No comments: