Thursday, November 18, 2010

Is Marriage Dying?

I ran across this interesting article today that talks a lot about marriage and how people view it. It is kind of sad to me that people don't find it as important as it once was.

While I realize that times change, it makes me wonder what other changes we will see over the course of the next forty years. Will that number jump another ten percent over the next forty years, showing that half of the US population doesn't think marriage and families are important?

I think of all the things I would miss out on without a family, and it would be a lot less fulfilling. Sure, having a family can be hard at times, but it can also be very rewarding. Without a family, I wouldn't have a little girl who is excited for me to pick her up every day when I get home. Without a family, I would have someone to go everywhere with when I need a friend. Without a family, I wouldn't have a full-time confidant.

You might be saying that you can experience all of these things outside of a family, but I beg to differ. I think that you can get close to experiencing these things, but that they won't be as fulfilling without the framework of a family to be the underpinnings of everything we are. Family shapes us, whether we want it to or not. It has been my experience that friends come and go, but that family is always there.

I love you Wifey!

1 comment:

Lana said...

I agree! As Mark and I have enjoyed being together year after year, we have seen a lot of friends who have done some stupid things and destroyed their marriages. Their attitude is that they can just get married again or "hang out" - not my idea of fun!!