Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Job Interview + Vintriloquism = ???

Monday I had a job interview. I have to say that it was the oddest interview that I had ever participated in.

I had a suspicion that the job might be sketchy from the start. The posting online didn't tell me much about the company, but they had a wage that would hold us over for the time being until I can return to my other position. I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be a sales position (blech!), but they also said that there were managerial positions available, so I figured that I might be able to sneak in under the radar.

I reported to the appointed place about fifteen minutes early. The receptionist greeted me and informed me that I was early. Duh. I planned on being there early to scope out the place a bit.

I had to fill out some paperwork and bring a resume along (even though my resume was pre-screened through an online process). As I was walked back to another room, I head the sounds of laughter, finding about five other people who were probably informed that they were early. The room was relatively large, and there were about twenty chairs set up facing a big screen TV that rested on a raised stage. And there was a ventriloquist act on the screen. After I sat down, I noticed that there were boxes of things (which I am pretty sure are prizes for selling stuff) like knock-off Pyrex and Tupperware. There was also one of those money machines that fans the money around you when you try to grab it.

A woman who represented the company came to the front of the room and turned off the ventriloquist act. She apologized for turning it off, because one guy in particular was really getting into it. I felt a bit thrown off by having to have entertainment before an interview. I was here to work, not to be entertained.

She ended up giving us a spiel about the company (in which she really didn't explain a lot), followed by thorough instructions on how to pass the personal interview. Really? Not only did I have to watch a singing ventriloquist, but I also had to be led by the hand on how to interview? After about a half an hour, it was my turn to "shine" (her words, not mine) in the personal interview.

And to tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed in the interviewer. She asked me three questions:
  1. Have I been in the area long?
  2. Did I think I could handle the work (which had not been thoroughly explained to me yet)?
  3. Did I realize that there wasn't a lot of opportunities to learn new technologies (because most of my experience has been technology-based)?
Really, is that all you needed? I was dismissed and told to call back at a number that same day in about an hour and a half to see if I had another interview.

So I did. Surprisingly enough, I passed the rigorous interview process and made it into the second round. I could have told you that, because she ended up putting check marks and plus signs on the paper work that I handed to her as I was standing there talking to her. Those are pretty universal here in the States...

I'm heading back for another set of interviews/presentations today. We will see how that goes. I am not sure that I want this position—mainly because I don't think that this company (that focused on being an educational company) educated me enough to know if I want the job. The interview process is a courtship, not just a series of questions. If I don't like the answers (or lack thereof), I can easily back away. I'll let you know if I learn anything else about this company today that will let me know exactly what would be expected of me.

But on a good note, I know that they could use a professional writer. I noticed a few typos on the information that they handed out to me, plus it wasn't very concise...

1 comment:

Lana said...

That is sad but it made me laugh.