Tuesday, April 5, 2011

4:11

Don't you think that 4:11 is a good time? I do.

Are you wondering why that is such a good time? Well, it is because that is the time that I got a job offer today. All the waiting has paid off. I can say that I have a job. Well, I will have a job starting in a little under two weeks.

I guess the writing test worked out well. And so did the interviews. I wasn't expecting the planets to align yet, but today was the day, I guess. I'm not complaining!

It is kind of odd. I was unsure whether or not I would find a job that gave me perks like paid time off and benefits. Life as a contractor has become something that I have kind of accepted over the years. I just thought that jobs that had things like benefits and paid holidays were a thing of yesteryear when the dot com bubble hadn't yet burst. But the government is still around, so they still find it important to employ people.

I'll be starting a position with the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare before too long. The job sounds interesting and full of variety. It lets me use all sorts of software that is a bit rusty (like RoboHelp, InDesign, and other things that I have yet to learn) and has a high volume of work (which is much better than the alternative).

The only downside is the pay. I will be taking a $3.50 pay cut per hour. That is going to hurt. I know that some of that will even out with benefits and paid time off, but it is still going to hurt. Now I just hope that I can get some other stuff on the side.

My dad offered me an interesting comment. He told me to ask if my previous employer had any part-time work. I had never considered that. It is a position that I could do from home (or in my free time), but might require some meetings that would be during normal business hours. I might propose it anyway to see if they have anything. The worst thing they can say is no.

In actuality, it feels a bit odd to know that I have a job. I have been looking for one for so long and kind of planning that I would be going back to my previous employer (through another contracting agency). I don't think it has officially sunk in yet.

But in the mean time, I am just going to act like it is 4:11 and keep on being pleasantly surprised that I am on the phone call when someone is telling me that they want me to work for them.

9 comments:

Lana said...

:o)

Johnny said...

My sentiments exactly.

Unknown said...

John. I am so happy you got a job. But, it wasn't with the government was it??? They just shut down.

Unknown said...

John. I am so happy you got a job. But, it wasn't with the government was it??? They just shut down.

Unknown said...

John. I am so happy you got a job. But, it wasn't with the government was it??? They just shut down.

Unknown said...

John. I am so happy you got a job. But, it wasn't with the government was it??? They just shut down.

Johnny said...

They informed me that their budget is set for the year. Furloughs are not required through the remainder of the year. Even if it shuts down, I think I'll still be working. :)

Dani said...

Yay! Congrats! Andy bourne works for health and welfare, in the dept of vital statistics. You guys can be buds.

Johnny said...

I'll have to look him up. Does he work at the office downtown?