Thursday, April 21, 2011

Night Off!

Tonight I feel a bit guilty. There is no reason why I should. I just have a night off of the play, so I have time to do things that I want to do. Like visit the local farm store and look at the baby chicks and rabbits with Munchkin and Wifey.

Before I get any further, I fixed the video from the previous post. It is funny how I can see a video when I'm logged in, and YouTube doesn't want that to happen for anyone else. Scroll down and watch the video now if you would like.

Munchkin was loving the chicks. They had them in watering troughs that were staged on pallets underneath some heat lamps. She just kept making little bird noises, occasionally telling us when they were jumping, running away, or being cute.

I needed a night with the fam. It was good times.

Tomorrow is my trainer's last day. We have pretty much run through everything that I am supposed to do once (and in some cases, twice). After that, I'm on my own.

I learned a new program today, which brings the total up to four new pieces of software. It is kind of baffling to me, but I am really enjoying it. They asked me in the interview if I liked wearing lots of hats. And now I understand why.

One minute, I'm creating an online help manual. Then someone comes up to me and asks me to convert a PDF back to a Word document. Then I get an email asking me to inform the state that a system is down. Then I get to send out a bulletin that tells everyone that a position is opening up in one of the offices. Then I edit some icons to put into a PDF. Then I do some SharePoint administration. Then I start creating a training video.

And then I get a break for lunch and repeat.

And one of the good things is that the people there seem really great. I have only known them for a few days, but everyone has been quite welcoming and gone out of their way to make sure that they appreciate my meager contributions. It is fun to have people come up to me and ask me if I can solve their minor technical emergencies. Well, it is fun when I can solve those emergencies.

All in all, I feel really comfortable there. I feel like I have already come out of my shell a bit to most of my team members, and I feel relaxed, even though there is a lot going on. I'll be transitioning over to the big desk (the think is in an L shape and is about 7 feet both ways) on Monday, and I know I'll have big shoes to fill, but it will be good.

Now to give Wifey a foot massage. She informed me that I would be giving her one earlier tonight before we left to go look at the chicks. She deserves it for taking care of Munchkin all day and night while I've been off waiting for my turn to sing.

No comments: